Sunday, August 29, 2010

"My" Caterpillars




The other day as I as walking across the yard from the recycling bin, I saw something move next to my foot. On closer inspection, I found a little caterpillar. And another caterpillar. and another and another and another...and a million caterpillars overtaking my pitiful patchy front lawn. Apparently my little tufts of green grass are their favorite food and they all came to stay. None of my neighbors have this pandemic of caterpillars. I have had them on my leg, in my shoe, and on my arm just from walking to my car...that's a little yuck.
Mary Clare wanted to put a few in a jar to let them grow into butterflies. Thinking they wouldn't make it through the night, I humored her and fixed them up a jar complete with a mesh top (very handy for sprinkling water). A week later, we still have the caterpillars...and now they are my pets. I feed them grass and water twice a day and they live on my kitchen window sill. They have gotten pretty big and they eat a lot. We'll see what happens, and if they keep living. Mary Clare thinks they will make a "chrysalis" (such a smarty pants). Yay caterpillars!

No comments:

Post a Comment